- This event has passed.
Lake Charles Mardi Gras Hangout
February 15 - February 22
An intimate Mardi Gras experience
Although most people associate Mardi Gras with New Orleans, the holiday is celebrated throughout Louisiana and around the world. During the seven-night Lake Charles Mardi Gras Hangout, hosted by local natives Susan & Mike McHugh SKP# 166645, you’ll get to experience all the pageantry, food and other fun of the festival in the more intimate, family-friendly atmosphere of one of Southwest Louisiana’s most charming cities.
Parades are a centerpiece of Mardi Gras festivities. Viewing them is fun…but actually being in one is even better! On Friday, you and your fellow Hangout participants will decorate a full-size parade float, and then have the opportunity to ride on it in that evening’s Merchant’s Parade. We’ll provide souvenir t-shirts to wear during the parade, as well as beads and candy to throw to the spectators along the route.
Saturday will begin at the World Famous Cajun Extravaganza and Gumbo Cook-Off, where you can sample dozens of rich, spicy gumbos served up by amateur and professional teams while listening (and dancing!) to floor-stomping Zydeco music. Then in the afternoon, you’ll get to relax with local craft beers and enjoy more live music at the Crying Eagle Brewing Company.
Saturday night features one of the highlights of Mardi Gras in Lake Charles: the annual Krewe of Illusions Extravaganza Show and Mardi Gras Ball. From your balcony seat, you’ll marvel at the extravagant costumes, exciting performances and big fun as the Krewe of Illusions relives some of Hollywood’s biggest moments.
On Monday, you’ll tour the Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu, with exhibits devoted to the glitz, glamor and revelry of the Mardi Gras season. You’ll also get to decorate (and eat!) your own King Cake, the traditional seasonal dessert, under the guidance of a local pastry artist. And that evening, you’ll attend the Royal Gala, featuring the royal courts of more than 60 krewes with kings, queens, royal dukes and duchesses, captains, courtesans, and jesters.
Finally, “Fat Tuesday” will arrive! You’ll join in the city-wide festivities with a private tailgate party right on the parade routes. The Mardi Gras season builds to a climax on Tuesday night with the Krewe of Krewes Parade. More than 60 krewes participate on floats, blasting music and tossing thousands of beads, cups, doubloons, and other fun items to cheering crowds.
There’s more to do in Southwest Louisiana besides Mardi Gras, too! You’ll also tour the Louisiana Spirits Distillery, home of Bayou Rum (with tastings, of course), learn about the official state reptile and hold live baby alligators at Gator Chateau, hike a trail in Sam Houston Jones State Park, enjoy dinner at a Cajun restaurant, and much more.
Our home base for the Lake Charles Mardi Gras Hangout will be the Lake Charles RV Resort by Rjourney in the nearby town of Iowa (pronounced eye-oh-way). All of our sites are big rig-friendly back-ins with 30/50A electric service, water and sewer hookups. The park has three bathhouses, on-site laundry facilities, and wifi. Pets are welcome and there is a fenced-in dog park.
This Hangout is limited to only 30 RVs and tickets will go quickly—so don’t wait to register!
Is this event right for me?
- enjoy hiking and walking
- can participate in activities during weekdays (traditional working/business hours)
For events designed specifically for working-age RVers, with most activities in the evenings and on weekends, try an Xscapers Convergence. Or for more of an all-inclusive, guided-tour experience, you may prefer one of our Head-Out Programs (HOPs).
Activities and schedule are subject to change. Activities marked with an *asterisk are not included in your Hangout fee.
Arrive at Lake Charles RV Resort
Welcome meeting & introductions
Bayou Rum Distillery tour and tasting
Group dinner at Cajun restaurant*
Decorate parade float
Participate in Merchant’s Parade
Cajun Extravaganza and Gumbo Cook-Off*
Drinks* & music at Crying Eagle Brewing Company
Krewe of Illusions Extravaganza Show and Mardi Gras Ball
Hiking and picnic lunch in Sam Houston Jones State Park
King cake decorating class
Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu
Explore downtown Lake Charles
Mardi Gras Tailgate Party
Krewe of Krewes Parade
Price & registration
- 7 nights RV camping
- Gator Chateau tour
- Distillery tour & tasting
- Float decorating and Merchant’s Parade participation
- Krewe of Illusions Show balcony seating
- King Cake decorating class
- Mardi Gras Museum admission
- Royal Gala admission
- Mardi Gras Tailgate Party
- Krewe of Krewes Parade
- Hangout T-shirt
- Social activities
- GTHO departure day breakfast
- Hangout hosts
Additional costs to consider: meals out, Gumbo Cookoff, state park entry fee
All activities listed for this event are subject to change.
You must be an Escapees RV Club member to attend this event. If you are not currently a member, you will be able to add a new membership during the registration process.
By registering for this event, you are representing and agreeing to the following (click to expand):
- You are physically capable of participating in the event.
- Your recreational vehicle, other vehicles, and any other equipment you may use to participate in the event will be in working condition.
- You will observe all applicable laws (including obtaining relevant licenses) and event rules, and will conduct yourself in a safe and prudent manner while participating in the event.
- That although volunteers may be directing and assisting you to your parking area, it is the driver of the vehicle who is ultimately responsible for avoiding obstacles or dangerous situations and is solely responsible for any damage to your property or the property of others.
- You accept and assume all risks arising from participation in the event, and waive and release all claims against Escapees or its affiliates relating to such participation.
- You consent to receive medical treatment deemed necessary if you are injured or require medical attention during your participation in the event, and agree that you are solely responsible for all related costs.
- You grant your permission to be filmed, videotaped, audio taped or photographed, and grant to Escapees full use thereof without compensation.
- You will receive occasional email notifications of future Escapees events; however, you can opt-out of these notifications at any time.
The above is only a summary. Please carefully read the full the terms and conditions, assumption of risk, and waiver of claims agreement that will be provided to you during the registration process.
How to register
To register, click the button below and follow the instructions on your screen. If you need assistance with your registration, please call Escapees Event Registration at (936) 329-6499.
Registration opens Wednesday, October 5, 2022
at 10:00 a.m. Central Time.
We’re sorry, but this Hangout is currently sold out. If you’d still like to attend, please join the waiting list below. We’ll notify you if a spot opens up.
After you register
Watch for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org for a confirmation of your registration. If you don’t receive it, call Escapees Event Registration at (936) 329-6499 to be sure that your registration was processed correctly.
After you register, please join the private Hangout group on Facebook (a link to this group will be in your confirmation email). We will use this group to communicate with Hangout attendees before and during the event. You will also receive one or more emails before the Hangout with more information as needed.
Cancellations & travel insurance
Should you need to cancel your registration, call Escapees Event Registration at (936) 329-6499 between 8 am and 4 pm Central Time, Monday through Friday, or email email@example.com. You may be entitled to a partial refund of your registration fees, depending on when we receive your cancellation:
- On or before Friday, December 16, 2022: $50 cancellation fee, remainder of payment refunded
- Saturday, December 17, 2022 through Monday, January 16, 2023: 50% refund of full event cost
- After Monday, January 16, 2023: no refund
We recommend that you purchase travel insurance after registering to protect your investment in the Hangout if you must cancel due to unexpected illness, death, or certain other contingencies. Travel insurance can also help to cover medical and trip interruption expenses for emergencies that occur during the Hangout. Pre-existing medical conditions are waived as long as you purchased your insurance within 15 days after your Hangout registration fee payment. Get a personalized online travel insurance quote now.
If this Hangout is sold out when you try to register, please join the waiting list by completing the form below. There are usually several cancellations before a Hangout…so if a spot opens up and you’re the next one on the waiting list, you’ll get another shot at registration! (Note: please don’t join the waiting list unless and until the Hangout sells out. Entries received before that time will be ignored.)